Saturday, January 7, 2012

Cafe Rolle

This was supposed to be a Friday post but in light of Oliver's emergency it was one of the many things that was pushed to the side. I love East Sacramento. Although I love our little neighborhood, one day I dream of living in a place like East Sacramento with its tree-lined streets, gorgeous homes from the 1940s and quaint cafes and restaurants within walking distance. For now I just visit, admire, and enjoy. One of my favorite things about East Sac is Cafe Rolle where I lunched with a law school friend on Thursday afternoon.

Cafe Rolle is a small, casual french restaurant serving simple meals made with high quality ingredients at an affordable price. As you eat at a small table with a red and white checkered tablecloth you can watch Chef Rolle at work in his small french kitchen. If you ask and its open, you can sit at the one lone table in the kitchen. Vintage french posters line the walls from floor to ceiling and postcards adorn the tables underneath the glass tops. While I love the small European bistro feel of the restaurant, its the food that keeps bringing me back. If I'm going to lunch with someone for the first time and they haven't been to Cafe Rolle yet, I tell them they are missing out on this gem and we must go.

 (Small confession here...I had already eaten one of the pieces before I remembered to take a pic.)

I doubt you could go wrong choosing any of the items on the menu. But as a guide to get started, the French banquettes are incredible. Perfectly crispy on the outside and fresh and light inside. They smoke their own salmon and the brie is to die for. That said, it should come as no surprise that my favorite item on the menu is the Hot Salmon Sandwich. It comes with Gruyere but they gladly substitute Brie for me. The sandwiches are served with mixed green salad with they mustard vinaigrette. And if you have room, which I highly doubt you will, the desserts are like the the meals simple and no frills, but oh so good. I've tried the chocolate mousse and the creme brulee. One of my favorite desserts was a blackberry creme brulee I had once at Cafe Rolle. But no dessert for me this time. After finishing a nice leisurly lunch at Cafe Rolle we headed across the street to Selland's Market Cafe for after-lunch cookies. Yummm! Now if only every day involved an hour and a half lunch...

No comments:

Post a Comment